It has been said before, I know, but it deserves saying once more. There is a first time for everything, and so here it is ... my very first blog entry!! And with hopes for a beautiful spring and summer I dedicate this entry to one of the most beloved insects: The Butterfly!
Here are a few fun facts about butterflies.
1. The top butterfly flight speed is 12 miles per hour. Some moths can fly 25 miles per hour.
2. Antarctica is the only continent on the planet that has no butterflies.
3. Butterflies taste with their feet, breathe with their stomachs and smell with their antennae.
4. Butterfly's ideal body temperature is about 85ºF. They're cold-blooded and if the air temperature falls below 55ºF, butterflies are rendered immobile.
5. Butterfly wings are actually transparent. What we see as color isn't pigment but light reflected off the scales on their wings.
Here is my homage to this fascinating creature. I created this illustration while on a trip to Costa Rica a few years back.
There is a fun fact about this illustration as well, can you see that there are actually four butterflies and not two?
Here is to new beginnings!